Sunday, December 26, 2004

NM State Penitentiary Riot Ghost Voices

Well, today on my hunt for amazing EVP messages from the dead, I'm visiting the site of my home town ghost hunters, the Southwest Ghost Hunters Association, based right here in wonderful Albuquerque, New Mexico. They have a beautiful site and a lot of EVP and paranormal science info.

I'll have more on them later. But first some creepy EVP examples and a ghost door on video from one of their most gruesome investigations!

On February 2nd, 1980, New Mexico was in the news all around the world. While one might expect it to have something to do with aliens or nuclear weapons, no... this day was to go down in history as one of the worst in american history and would forever change our correctional system.
"Shortly before 2 a.m. inmates at the Penitentiary of New Mexico near Santa Fe overpowered four correctional officers ... and, within minutes, ... smashed their way into the main control center (and gained) access to every part of the main penitentiary building where 1,157 male inmates were under the custody and care of 25 correctional employees." From the Attorney General's Report
This was human beings at their most violent. Thirty three inmates died horribly at the hands of their fellow prisoners that day. Most of the carnage took place in cell block 4, the protective custody block where snitches and cops gone bad were kept. Some were tortured and then beheaded with power tools, others were hung by sheets and the poor unfortunate few deemed worthy were burned alive with propane torches. Their charred outlines still remain today.

I remember that fateful day well, you see Feb 2 is my birthday and I was turning 11 years old. My brother was a news photographer for a local TV station and was called up there to report the story. It turned out to be one of his biggest and a large help to his successful career. Since then, my brother has seen a lot, from gangster hits to real live war. I have never seen him as shaken as when he returned from this ghastly story.

At eleven, I was unable to grasp the full horror of what had occurred there as he described some of what he saw at the time, but spared me the graphic details. I asked him about it when I got older, but he doesn't like to talk about it much. The most haunting image I will carry from his brief and dismissing descriptions is the four inches of human blood they had to wade through to get into cell block 4. They were among the first on the scene to witness the debris and human body parts still floating on this crimson pond of horror.

The members of SGHA investigated the old penitentiary along with local radio station KZRR 94rock and some winners of a "Fear" type contest. The voice EVP they gathered are somewhat disappointing, but the pictures and video are really interesting. Ghost Hunt of the New Mexico State Penitentiary

All their EVP samples have been modified, which is something I'm learning to
hate in my studies. (but seems to be the norm for samples on the internet due to internet bandwidth or storage space concerns? or just the fact they went through software to get to the internet in the first place?). I wish everyone would post the enhanced version and non enhanced version or at least tell us what software they used and what enhancements were made. I'd like to be able to make up my own mind and at least hear the original sample. Once you modify something without the original to refer to, there is too much chance for error or interpretation and I can't be sure there even was a voice to start with.
When asked if he would like to be somewhere else, one ghostly resident may have responded "playing golf". Yeah, I'll bet!

Another was asked his name, but you can't make it out. There is a sound there though.

And finally when asked "are you alone" a voice may respond "twenty". It seems clear, but it's filtering gives it the trademark "evil alien" voice, so I just don't know if it says twenty or not. Perhaps he was trying to say 23, the number of inmates killed in famous cell block 4?
Decide what they say for yourself!


Now, are you ready to be scared? Proceed with caution if you frighten easily.

Their first video features a sound like a door shutting (yet all the doors were locked and confirmed so by a state employee) as an orb goes rushing by on some urgent errand!

Their second video actually shows a closed cell door mysteriously open as the investigators pass. CREEPY and Guaranteed to make you jump!!! Check them both out!

I'm wondering if there is another investigation planned for the 25th anniversary of the Santa Fe Prison Riot in a few weeks? I'll find out and let you know!

No comments: