Thursday, December 16, 2004

The White Noise Movie Site

The official White Noise movie website (see it here) is typical of the modern pre-release hollywood site. Lots of Flash and cool fancy graphics on the splash page with a list of needed plugins. But bandwidth issues will not deter me and I'm sure I have the latest players so I bravely venture on.

As I watch the countdown while the Flash player loads, I wonder again if this is another Blair Witch Project. I spent a night on their website the first time I saw the TV ad too and at first glance their "found footage" seemed pretty real. Their website had lot's of "evidence", a great story and a few experts to boot. For the first week I, like everyone else, thought this looked real until the story broke it was purely well crafted fiction and a clever marketing department.

At first glance though, you realize White Noise will be different. This is obviously a movie where paranormal activity is simply used in the plot to help give everyone a good scare. There will be no "actual footage" here and with Michael Keaton as the lead, it would be hard to pass this off as any type of "reality movie".

Michael Keaton plays architect Jonathan Rivers who is devastated by the disappearance and death of his wife, Anna (Chandra West). Jonathan is contacted by a man (Ian McNeice), who says he is receiving messages from Anna through EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon), the process through which the dead communicate with the living through household recording devices. At first skeptical, as any lawyer would be, Jonathan is soon convinced the messages are genuine and becomes obsessed with contacting his wife on his own. As he explores further into the world of EVP, he of course opens the door to some other dimension where something evil is lurking to scare us all to death. Standard horror movie fare.

I'm no expert, but I have always been interested in the paranormal and was surprised I had never heard of EVP before. Ok, I figure, a few ghost hunters said they recorded some things and some aspiring script writer took the idea and ran with it. The three samples on the White Noise movie site were very clear and must have been manufactured by a special effects team. There is no way any real recordings of the dead, if even possible, could be that clear.

I would soon learn otherwise as I continue my journey into the paranormal possibilities of regular old white noise.

No comments: